Monday, February 10, 2014

A Fine Weekend


Hard to beat the view while cross-country skiing at Hatcher Pass!
While the workweek has its merits, it is the two days beginning with “S” that hold the most excitement for me. I’ve found that the weekend’s allure has not diminished whatsoever during my temporary absence from the world of academia. And of the 25 weekends I’ve been privileged to experience in Alaska, this past on ranks pretty high.


at Hatcher Pass
A week or so ago, our unit was talking and we realized we hadn’t really gone anywhere or done anything outside our ordinary routines for some time. We resolved to do some sort of day trip or excursion and experience a new part of Alaska.

Thus, on Saturday morning, we all loaded into the unit van and headed off to Hatcher Pass. Just under an hour and a half north of Anchorage, this pass through the Talkeetna Mountains is a favorite spot for outdoor recreation, especially in the winter. Of special interest to us was the area around at Independence Mine. This former gold mine is located in a valley that also boasts great cross-country skiing as well as opportunities for downhill fanatics to get their fix.

Note the trail across the side of the ridge (and there's one that's hard to see on the very top face of the mountain!). We didn't take such chances with avalanches, though it would have upped the adrenaline a little.

Figures are dwarfed by the landscape.
The day we chose happened to be a true-blue sky and the result was a dazzling landscape of whites and blues, snow-covered peaks and a quaint mining village. It felt like a scene straight out of the Alps (though I’ve never been remotely close to Europe…). The skiing was exhilarating, even as we stayed on the safer, (relatively) avalanche-free, groomed ski trails on the valley floor.
Buildings remaining from the mining days.
Methinks they get some snow here...


The following day, Sunday, we led worship at church. I helped choose and lead hymns and we all shared a short reflection on how God is working in our lives. For me, I’ve seen God in the relationships I’ve formed with others at work, in the unit, in church, and in the community. I think God works through these relationships, stretching us, nurturing us, and building community. I’ve also felt God working a lot in my life through making me more aware of my shortcomings, failings, and weaknesses. Living in community has challenged me to work on my less-desirable traits – learning to be more vulnerable, saying sorry and admitting defeat, and becoming less selfish in my thoughts and feelings.

After the service, we were treated by our respective host families to pizza at the Bear Tooth, one of Anchorage’s best pizza eateries. Good conversation paired with a chicken pesto pizza made for an enjoyable outing. Later Sunday afternoon, I went cross-country skiing again, this time at a local park in Anchorage. It made me once again appreciate the fitness that world-class Nordic skiers must be in!

Speaking of which, the Olympics also served to make this weekend a great one. Since the opening ceremonies Friday, we’ve enjoyed a number of events – marveling at downhill skiers hitting speeds of 85 mph +, the newly added snowboarding event slopestyle, and many others. It has been especially exciting with athletes from Anchorage and Alaska as a whole competing in Sochi. Coming from Kansas, a place not widely known for its stellar winter athletes, it is fun to cheer to have a hometown hero to cheer on.

Thanks for reading my blog and I hope that you all can make the most of your weekends!
The rising moon at Hatcher Pass.



No comments:

Post a Comment