Friday, July 18, 2014

Back Home


Well, I’m writing this final blog from Kansas, after having returned from my 10 ½ month term of voluntary service in Anchorage, Alaska. Looking back, I am really grateful for this year of service. For me, it was a good hiatus from academics and a time to learn more about myself and others. The most important aspect of this year, in my mind, is the relationships built and nurtured. If there’s one thing I learned it is that it’s always worth the effort to invest time and energy to get to know someone deeper. It is easy to live in the same house with someone and never get beyond a superficial relationship, even if it is one of mutual tolerance. Though I am guilty of some of this, I leave Service Adventure feeling like part of a family with our unit. To me, much of the joy of life is given from relationships with others.

As I look back to my arrival in August 2013, there are many memories I will cherish deeply. Here is a sampling:
  • many sunrise and sunset photography trips to various points on the Anchorage coast
  • cross-country skiing at all times of the day
  • hiking many of the peaks near Anchorage and seeing a glimpse into the true wilderness of Alaska
  • late-night conversations and snacks in the kitchen
  • some of the most scenic locations for playing soccer and running I’ve ever experienced
  • the joys of creatively cooking food for others
  • the many shared laughs and jokes among the unit

I return home with new energy and excitement that will go with me as I soon travel to Goshen College to begin a new chapter of life. For the time being however, I am thoroughly enjoying being “home.” All the seemingly normal things that I previously took for granted but missed while up in Alaska… Friends and family who I have not seen for a long while… The familiar sights, sounds, and smells of home… Seeing the changes that have taken place while I have been gone…

As I wrap up this blog, I would like to say a big thank you to all my readers. Thank for your support all year, for your interest in what I had to say and show, for your prayers. I truly appreciate it.

Signing off,
Mark

Watching a winter sunset in Anchorage

No comments:

Post a Comment